Sunday 24 February 2013

The Mridangist - Part 3


Disclaimer: The story is a figment of my imagination. The characters and incidents does not relate to anybody.

Please find the previous parts here ( Part 1 and Part 2)

Sathvika Thiruvenkatam?” - he asked, raising his eyebrows questioningly, giving her his crooked smile. She gave a fleeting look at her students and stared back at him, her eyes spitting venom.

Yes. How may I help you?” - she said, suppressing the urge to threaten rudeness in every syllable.

Smiling serenely, he asked - Can I have a word with you?”

She shook her head. No, I have class. I am sorry.”

I can wait, no problem. But can we step in and do so?” - he asked politely.

She looked confused - We??”

He smiled and entered the hall holding a small girl's hand. She walked shyly, hiding behind his knees. Sathvika looked at the cute little girl and smiled warmly. The kiddo blinked at her with a pair of round, innocent dark brown eyes and stared blankly up at the guy. Sathvika followed the child's eyes and looked at him, the unuttered question etched clearly on her face.

This is my brother's daughter. He lives nearby. We want to put her in dance class.” - he answered in a rush.

Comprehension dawned on Sathvika's face. Please sit down.” - she said and gave him the class timings and fees details, a little calmly. And if you find it appropriate, you can put her in the class on an auspicious day. Please bring vethala paaku pazham while coming.” - she continued.

He nodded a little impatiently for a reason best known to him. Sathvika ignored his reaction and turned towards the kid.

What's your name?” - she asked, smiling gently.

The little girl looked at him and when he smiled reassuringly, she got some courage to answer.My name is Archana and my chithappa's name is Abhi.” - she said, pointing at him.

Sathvika caressed Archana's innocent face and asked - Would you like to dance here?”

Archana nodded and asked in her childlike voice - Will you give me chocolates if I dance here?”

Ammu!! no..” - Abhi said sternly.

Sathvika ignored him again and said, raising one hand - Sure. Hi5!!”

*************

Anna!! he's running too fast. Oh my god!! Look. Now he's fallen down. Died!!”

There were cheers and jeers everywhere in the room. The boy who exclaimed was having his back patted and slapped by different people.

Enough of Temple Run guys!! Now get back to the drawing room.” - it was Vidhyuth Kaustuban. He held out his hand to get his iPad back.

Anna!! just once. I didn't play at all today!!” - another boy complained. Vidhyuth just shook his head, smiling; he drove them out of the room.

Looking at the boy's defeated expression, Vidhyuth said cajolingly - I will take class now. If you play well here, I will allow you to play with my iPad.”

With that, the boys settled down in a straight line with their Mridangams in perfect position. Vidhyuth started the class. Few minutes into it, Vidhyuth's sister peeped in and waved his mobile phone at him. He looked around and signalled who?” .

Sathvika!!” - she mouthed.

To be continued..

P.S: I will post the next part tomorrow and the story ends in the fifth part.

---Bala Iyengar---

2 comments:

  1. I read all the three parts.. Keeps me interested Bala :) Nice way you have captured the scenes in all the three posts :) I have one request though - Can you pl change the font size -Buddies like me will find it easier :P :P ;) do write the next part soon :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)and will change the font size right away.. :D

      Delete